Saturday, October 8, 2011

ST Foundations Class - Lesson 6

Lesson 6 - LAST LESSON :( 
So sad that this class is over.  Happily we signed up for another Foundations class, so yay!  there will be many more videos of us learning agility.  LOL!  I'm sure you are all super happy about that!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your last homework already! Two more weeks left to catch up and then with October 3rd, this class is finished. If you want to keep working on Foundation stuff in a class form, you can join October Foundation class (that is repeat of this class) for a reduced price. If you want to take things further, you’re welcome to continue in Handling class that will start 31st of October, I’ll open the registration soon. In Handling class, I’ll be posting two different exercises for two different levels: the whole course for more experienced teams and shorter sections that will still be focusing on training to some degree for beginners.

1. sequence


Let’s check your stays. I usually train them away from agility until they are 100% with toys flying, dogs running around, me moving etc. -- and then just use them here and there also in agility: probably only for about 10% of sequences we run, to make sure I’m not given too many opportunities to ruin them In this sequence, you need a stay. Position your dog at the good angle to be on a good line for 2nd jump, go to your position and start. Choose how you want to handle it.

2. front, rear and blind crosses: as there were some questions on the crosses, I included a video with different crosses on the same sequence. Normally, I first do front crosses only (as I only do collection sequences) + blind crosses on tunnels, then add rear crosses on flat and at tunnels, then blind crosses and then rear crosses on jumps. So try rear cross on a tunnel and on flat first and if that goes well, try it on a jump: see the video -- just ignore the double tunnel, use a single tunnel of course, I just used whatever I already had in a set up. If you want (I’m not forcing anybody, I’m just including those as some participants were asking about them), you can try it with blind crosses too. Normally, I will choose the cross based on a situation: for collection, I will use a front cross OR, if I can’t get there in time, rear cross at the jump. For extension, I will choose blind cross OR, if I can’t get there, rear cross on flat. At trials, I do the most front crosses, then blinds and maybe one rear cross every 5 runs… Yeah, not big fan. But of course, it’s important the dogs know rear cross too as sometimes it is the only option!





You could of course run those sequences with front crosses only, I showed it with rear and blind crosses only as by now, I think we mastered the front crosses already, so we can try some rears and blinds (if you want).

3. send in your contacts, see-saw, weaves and multi-wraps (on your current height) work again to check how it’s going and to give you some suggestions on how to proceed after the class is finished.
Hope to see you in Handling Class!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~








No comments: