Tuesday, January 17, 2012

When Pigs Fly Book Review




I finished reading this book a few days ago.  It is the BEST training book I have ever read.  I cried, it was that good.  Maybe people with easy to train dogs wouldn't appreciate it, but for me it was such a.....I don't know?  A hug?  A pat on the back?  Jane is like, "It's OK!  Your dog can be trained too!"  So many times when I read training books or watch training videos, I think, "Huh, well, that's nice, but it's not going to work with Tibby."  Jane takes training down to it's smallest steps and she explains exactly how to progress with your "difficult to train" dog. 

For example, I once saw someone teach their dog a trick.  The beginning of the trick started with the dog in heel position beside their trainer.  I wanted to teach this trick, but how to get Tibby into heel position?  Without luring it?  Jane explains how to do it AND in a way that would actually work!  'Cause you can't make an 'impossible' dog do something.  It has to be their idea. 

Her writing style is really easy to read too.  And she uses tons of real life examples, so that makes it even more interesting to read.

Maybe the book would be a little basic for someone that has been clicker training for a long time.  I have only been using a clicker for a year and I'm self trained, so it was nice to read step by step instructions on starting from scratch.  I picked up some great tips!

It was nice to have someone acknowledge that some dogs are different and that it's OK! 

3 comments:

Patty said...

sounds like a great book. Will have to pick it up. You might also like Control unleashed.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

You know she's giving a seminar in MN in February right?! TCOTC is hosting it.

Kiyi Kiyi said...

Laura - Yeah I know! I'm going to it!! Super excited! :) It will be our first seminar too!