Monday, May 21, 2012

One Bite


I took Tibby to the vet today for her spring check-up.
She tested positive for Lyme's disease.
Shock, anger, disappointment, regret, sadness...
So the Dr. started her on 100mg of doxycycline for 21 days.
And said we could come back after that and get the vaccine....if we wanted to.
Have I said before how I would like to find another vet????

So like every other person in the world I turned to the wide and all knowing internet for answers.
And the internet couldn't agree.
Yes to doxycycline??  No?  21 days? 3 months? 6 months?
More blood tests?  No blood tests necessary?
Get vaccine?  Don't get vaccine?
Which vaccine?  Lower side affects?
Vaccine will cause more affects in positive dogs?
Treat asymptomatic dogs?  Don't treat asymptomatic dogs?
Urine test yes?  No urine test?
Test again in 6 months?  No need for asymptomatic dogs?

Yeah, no one can agree apparently.

So I gave Tibby the first dose of doxycycline.  It can't hurt her (unless it can) and it made me feel like I was at least doing something!

The pills are huge, but Tibby ate it without any problem.  Plus cheese. 

Stupid ticks.
Stupid Frontline.
Stupid hiking.
Stupid me.
Poor Tibby.

1 comment:

BZ Dogs said...

Poor Tibby! :( Hope you get some answer soon.