Thursday, May 3, 2012

Manipulation


We had a really good lesson with Loretta today.  Usually I spend the 2 hour drive home thinking about all the different things I wish I had said or done differently.  But this time I didn't even think about it.  It was a good lesson and I wouldn't change anything.
Tibby worked hard for a long time.  She had a few moments when she needed a time out in the crate, but then she would come back ready to work.
There was one funny moment when she decided to try hiding out in the black (previously) 'scary' tunnel to avoid working in the newly 'scary' corner of the building.  Hence the title of this post.  She isn't actually scared of these things, but boy have I taught her well that acting 'scared' gets you lots of treats and you can avoid doing whatever I want.  You would have to be there and work with Tibby for a little while to understand this.  Even Loretta didn't believe me when I first told her that I felt like Tibby was 'playing me'.  I think she believes me now :P



She was SO tired by the end of the hour, but she kept trying for me and did what I asked her to do.


I've said it before, but my favorite part of lessons is having someone watch what we are doing and tell me/explain to me/translate what is going on.  It's also nice to have someone to talk through things and tell you what you're doing is OK! 
Loretta is a really great teacher!


I learned today that Tibby actually does understand the criteria of running contacts.  I've been thinking that she doesn't get it - it seems like I'm rewarding everything, so how could she figure it out.
Really neat to see her thinking and trying different things out.
When she missed leapt and didn't get rewarded, she would come back and run through the contact the next time. 



Good girl!

No comments: